It’s that time of year when the kids are heading back to school and the rest of us are making plans to get out and enjoy the last warm days of summer.
With the change in season and return from vacations (hopefully tanned and rested!), it’s time to get serious about promoting your book again. Whether you’re a first-time author or a seasoned pro, there’s still a lot to do in the way of footwork to ensure that readers know about and remain aware of your book.
Here are a few tips for getting back out there and promoting your book this fall:
- Speak at conferences and special events
- Sign up for book fairs, street fairs, and fall festivals
- Submit your book to traditional and online book reviewers
- Contact your local library to schedule an appearance
- Submit your book to award programs
- Apply for artist residencies and fellowships
- Contact blog sites related to your book and set up a blog tour
- Attend a writers conference near you
- Join a book promotion group (Can’t find one? Start one yourself!)
- Contact local schools about speaking
- Start a blog, guest blog on other sites, or beef up your own blog
- Write articles about your subject matter
- Update your website
- Use social networking sites (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) to update fans about your book
- Upgrade your promotional giveaways
- Set up consignments at local stores and check up on those who have your book on display
- Create an FAQ or Q&A sheet
- Get new testimonials from recent readers
- Contact a book club and offer to speak
- Wear a t-shirt with your book cover on it to the gym, grocery store, bank, etc.
- Make business cards with your book cover on them and leave them everywhere
- Create a car magnet sign highlighting your book and where to order it
- Donate your book to charity auctions
- Write a press release about something recent that’s happened with you and your book and post it on the free wire service websites
- Volunteer your time for a worthy cause (a great way to help others and let them know about you and your book at the same time!)
You get the idea… there are lots of opportunities out there and lots of ways to make yourself known. Happy promoting, and happy fall!
Photo Credit: negativespace.co/autumn-fall-path-forest